9/13/11

Garden



The new backyard. There isn't really much amidst the overgrown lawn here but some concrete paths, a hills hoist and a loquat tree. I did discover a couple of primula seedlings (above) growing in amidst the clover and grass, though, which I have replanted into a bed.

I have built up a couple of beds for a vege garden, using the no dig approach. I laid down wet newspaper and covered it with layers of compost and straw. I used a mixture of sugar cane mulch and pea straw. Compost is from the back of the shed. That was about mid August.



The first things I planted were chili's, sweet thai ones and a jalapeno. I also planted this gooseberry and a rhubarb. I have been unsuccessful with this in the past but I love it, so am trying again.



About a week later I planted a strawberry, some sorrel, some sugar snap peas, some leeks, and an early tomato. I have shallots down the side of the house along with some wild strawberries and pansys. I planted parsley and rosemary seeds and already have some mint and rainbow silverbeet too, brought over from our last garden. Same with a thyme and lemon thyme.



This morning I put in some tiny basil seedlings (above) and some desiree potatoes. Later today I am going to find a spot for some horseradish cuttings ready to plant out, those are from lovely Pene.

I sowed some flower seeds too, I was reminded of my amazement the first time I grew Zinnias, so I put some seeds out the front and side of the house. There are some possible babies popped out of the ground this week. Fingers crossed. We are on a hill, so wind might be a problem for them out the front. There are a couple of dahlia seedlings out there too.

I have been busy, now that I list it! I hope that most of it will grow! We have plenty of worms, also plenty of birds around to scratch out baby seedlings, sadly. I decided to get in and embrace the possibility of growing as many of our own veges as possible, this list is just to help me remember. I am intermittent with the garden (and everything) so hopefully, once established, they won't need too much of my vague attention. It's exhausting carting buckets of grey water to baby seedlings!

No comments: