4/24/12

Baking and preserving

We had our Autumn meeting at Don's warehouse. It was such a good day.

I made a brioche plait, all soft and sweet. I also made watermelon rind pickle, the recipe is from the Time Life Good Cook Preserving book. It's a weird consistency, but tastes good! I also offloaded a couple of jars of Bread and Butter Pickles, as I wasn't sure how well received the watermelon rind would be – and there's no room left in the cupboard – I have been making pickles and jam all summer. I also took a few jars of fig and vanilla jam for tasting, the neighbour's tree has been very abundant, and still has fat figs ripening. They aren't so good to eat fresh, but make very nice jam. I have been having it with my porridge most mornings.

It was a bit celebratory as Chutney Club has a few buns in the oven. Some more lifetime memberships are on the cards.

Bread
pickles


No comments: