12/31/07

a happy ending

It's new years eve, and I thought perhaps I should provide you with a happy ending... There are posters around for a newyears street party called happy ending, and I meant to post this to remind me for next year... A bit late I know, but just to finish off. Rum BALLS

2133210540_dc0dcd3683_m

Or Rrrummmkuglen which they call them here... or that's how it sounded to me, when lovely Marieke said it... rrrrrr...

This recipe is patched together from memory, I hadn't made them since I lived at home, which is over ten years ago... They used to have sultanas in them too, but adam's not a fan...

1 packet of plain biscuits, it always used to be arrowroot, finely ground.
An equal amount of hazlenuts or almonds roughly ground, it's good to still have some crunch...
1 tin of sweet sickly condensed milk
As much delicious dutch cocoa as you need to make it DARK, or to taste...
half a cup of crystalized lime or lemon or orange peel
and RUM to taste, I like em strong, so started with 1 cup then splashed in more
Roughly chopped delicious dark chocolate, also good for the crunch
Devastated coconut for rolling
I think that's all?
add other things if you like...

mix it all together, and marvel at the decadence... if it's not firm enough to roll into balls, add more ground nuts... roll into balls and roll in coconut.

this part always brings to mind Kate Bush's 'rolling the balls', maybe it's called 'Them Heavy People'? I dunno.... But you can sing that as you go... then put em in the fridge to harden up...

mmmm... delicious snowy and rummy...
mmm... then it's basically christmas even if it's not...

Happy New Year, kisses all around...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to make them each year when i was at my mum's too!
there was a problem one year... i think it was 1990 when i had drunk a whole bottle of bundy at a party....
that year i was a little shakey at the rollin game...
heh happy new year to you and adam!

pen said...

happy new year little berliner babies!
love you both
px