7/17/08

Adamsterdam

In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who sings
Of the dreams that he brings
From the wide open sea
In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who sleeps
While the river bank weeps
To the old willow tree...


We had a couple of days in the city. Adam surprised me with a fancy hotel, all chandeliers and opulence and red velvety wallpaper and mountains of Rococo pillows to push off the bed. YAY.
It's easy to love Amsterdam. It's nice to know how to quickly sidestep the dingy tourist hell of it too. We were meeting up with friends. Friends with kids, hello Stella & Louis.
So a lot of our time was spent piggy-backing, hand-holding, getting demonstrations of statues and tall dogs, picking flowers off the footpath, darth vader photo sessions and Tokyo toyshop stories. Travel tales from under tens. It must be amazing to do, and remember later, as a kid, despite the fact they MAY sometimes wish to just be at home watching tele.

I loved it. Anyway, the link above is to David Bowie, but I only know the song from a Scott Walker album, I blame Kade. I love it, and it comes into my head, whenever Amsterdam is mentioned... Though right now I've found and am loving this, the original version too.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I have an album full of Brel songs sung by Irish cabaret singer Camille including this one... will give when I see you...